Pump Shotgun People, and My Journey to Understand Them




DISCOVERY

        A few years back, I took on a new challenge in my shooting game. Several friends, who I knew liked to do cool things, piqued my interest in learning the defensive shotgun. I’d never been a sporting shotgun guy, I’d only rifle hunted, so I had no biases or bad habits. I was a blank slate ready to do something new. One Tom Givens shotgun class, and that was it! I dove in. I read the books, took the classes, practiced a lot, picked the brains of my more experienced friends, and never looked back. I was officially “baptized” in the “gospel of the gauge.”

I’m thankful that I had established shotgun instructors to help me circumvent the usual mistakes of a new discipline. I didn’t have to suffer the consequences of the wrong gun, wrong gear, wrong mindset, or the wrong set up. The Beretta 1301 had clearly taken the top spot for autos, and Aridus Industries had perfected it. The 1301 fast became my favorite gun with which to build new skills, and it served that purpose well. One can never doubt how a superior piece of equipment can allow you to more freely, and rapidly, develop. When you’re not fixing broken or sub-par equipment, you’re doing reps and getting better.

After three years of focus, I took Tom’s Rangemaster Shotgun Instructor course. If you have not taken it, put it on your list. I can honestly say it was likely the highest concentration of top-level shooters, nationally recognized instructors, and talented shotgunners I’d ever been around. Before you ask, no, I had not yet been to TacCon, but now I have so I know better. 

As I picked up classes and experience, I noticed a pattern. To me a literal curiosity. In almost every class there was that ONE, maybe two. Often a quieter individual, maybe a bit of a contrarian at face value, who stood steadfastly dedicated to something different. At a time when semi-auto shotguns like the 1301 were lighter, faster, more ergonomic, and seemly superior in so many ways, these guys weren’t putting down that pump. Most often these guns were an 870 Police Magnum that had been lightly refined by its proud owner, or as I’m now well familiar, commonly completely retooled and beautifully refined by or friends at Vang Comp. Where it’s often so easy to push the level of competition in so many classes by chasing that top drill time and letting that be the focus of effort. The pump purists are usually not sucked into the competition aspect. With very few exceptions, the pump folks wouldn’t have a chance IF they were so wired. Instead, they quietly and consistently deliver good reps, smoothly, in almost every measurable metric.

I knew that as I was officially stepping into the world of shotgun instruction, I had a void in my skillset. Not only had I NOT achieved a level of mastery with the pump shotgun, I also didn’t really understand why these “weirdos” were so committed to it. A portion of the people who would expect ME to know how to help THEM were preemptively being ignored. That settled it, I had to jump in the deep and frustrating waters of the pump shotgun. I had to feel what it was like to watch someone of a more insipient skillset burn me for no other reason than a blink operating system, maybe not raw talent or developed skill. I had to force myself to pick up a pump and figure this damn thing out, when all I really wanted to do was smoke everyone on the line with a cool guy 1301. This became something different. I realized I had to check myself enough to do something I wasn’t great at, and simply be a new guy. Open eyes, open ears, shut mouth. LEARN!

MY PLAN

        Since I felt obligated to develop a real skillset with a pump shotgun, I figured the only obvious thing to do was go back to the beginning. I decided that in 2023 I would commit myself to retaking every shotgun class I’d ever taken, on a pump. First problem, I didn’t OWN a pump shotgun. I recalled Tom Givens putting rather clear emphasis on what TWO shotguns he deemed worthy. I already had one of them, but I quite clearly needed to locate an 870 Police Magnum. In short order a friend who I consider a “real shotgunner” type, put me onto a batch of police trade ins in Indiana. I secured two straight away, and as luck would have it, the department who traded these shotguns in clearly did NOT like to shoot shotguns. Both were in pristine condition. Both guns were immediately shipped out to Las Vegas to get what every 870 Police Magnum deserves, a new lease on life from the amazing folks at Vang Comp. Fast forward a few months, and Jon has a pump. I could go into detail about what came back from Vang, but quite frankly, none of us have the time. In short, AMAZING. I knew I had what I needed to go at this new experience with vigor. 

        I started alone at the range; with the ONE thing I really knew about pump shotguns. The three words drilled into the heads of most people who would ever read this. BOOM, CHUNK, CHUNK. Having a solid grasp on other things, I knew building whatever skills I could in cycling would be a big help. The first range session with my buddy, who had the identical gun built by Vang, was quite the experience. If “ugly” and “humbling” were competing that day, they both tied for first place. At the end of the session, we almost simultaneously exclaimed “How do these guys do this??!!” 

Several sessions later, and pump classes about to pick up for the training season in full swing, I can honestly say things are getting better. Weird sidenote, I’m faster than before when I do pick up the semi-auto. Maybe it’s simply psychological in that I KNOW I’m better with the 1301, thereby I do perform better. But I must think something in the experience of training the pump has carried over. Smarter people than me would have to offer their incite on the matter. The most important thing that I’ve learned, making me better understand those pump shotgun diehards, is that the pump shotgun is a DAMN FUN gun to run. BOOM CHUNK CHUNK when applied immediately and smoothly sounds “cool” and certainly feels “cooler.” I find myself watching the pump folks operating their guns much more closely than ever before. Much like running a revolver well, the place to speed up with the shotgun it by developing the most efficient method for every movement. Some people will enjoy the emphasis that must be placed on the smaller detail. More people will hate it and avoid the challenge. I know that I can “get away” with more on the 1301. It forgives a little bit of slop. The 870, not so much. 

CONCLUSION

        I think one of the best parts about this lifestyle and the community, is that there’s no shortage of challenges and motivation. Picking up a new tool and committing to mastering it, is not only normal, but also expected. As a multi-discipline “student of the gun” I have thoroughly enjoyed learning this newer to me tool and better understanding these shooters. I have classes set for this year with Tactical Defense Institute and Greg Ellifritz to further develop pump proficiency. My training partners at Gunset Training Group have also snatched up some Vang Comp 870s to join me in our weekly sessions. Give some thought to expanding your skillsets. Two quotes that enforce this come you mind; “The juice is worth the squeeze” and “The journey is the destination.” If you’re so fortunate to be a member of this community, use the resources, seek guidance from the experts you know, do hard things, and grow.





 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Civilian AED Ownership. A Story of Why.

Instructor Enrichment Program by Apache Solutions

Breaking Auto Glass- What Every Person Should Know